Peak Design – Shell
As Travel Photographers we are always looking for products that work well in all conditions. In the past, we have used weather-sealed DSLR cameras which at times have been drenched and have still performed well so we really haven’t had the need for a rain cover for our cameras. However, we now use mirrorless cameras and unfortunately, they do not handle the rain as well as our previous cameras, as a matter of fact, our first mirrorless camera, the Sony A7r, was not weather-sealed at all. We now shoot with the Sony A7Riii and although the body is moderately weather-sealed, some of our lenses, such as the Samyang’s, are not.
We’ve always carried a cheap rain cover that allows you to access the camera via side sleeves however we have found these to be extremely awkward at times and difficult to read the LCD screen when covered in droplets of water. So we were delighted when we saw the Peak Design Shell product. The Peak Design shell protects your camera from water, snow, dust, and abrasion, whether it’s in your hands, on the tripod, on your backpack or in your bag. The product is extremely well-designed and well-made. It has a unique form-fitting design using stretchy fabric with a waterproof membrane to keep your camera safe without adding bulk or impeding your workflow.
You can use the Shell with the Capture Camera Clip or any Peak Design strap (sold separately) to keep your camera accessible in any environment. Cameras come in endless shapes and sizes. With interchangeable lenses and accessories like battery grips and L-brackets, fortunately, Shell comes in 3 different sizes, each of which fits a wide range of camera bodies and lenses. It is made of a stretchy water-resistant fabric that cinches at both ends. Even if you frequently change lenses or use multiple camera bodies, there’s probably a single Shell size that will solve your needs.
ULTRALIGHT, FORM-FITTING RAIN AND DUST COVER FOR ALL CAMERAS – Available in 3 sizes for a snug fit with almost any camera/lens combo
STRETCHABLE – 4-way stretch fabric is seam-taped to resist rain, snow, dust, and abrasion
CONVENIENT – Access viewfinder and controls without removing
WORKS WITH CAPTURE® CAMERA CLIP OR STANDALONE
ANCHOR PORTS – Allows use with any Peak Design strap
SECURE – Completely cinches closed for safe camera stowage
SMALL FOOTPRINT – Packs down small into its built-in storage pocket
WARRANTY – Lifetime guarantee
Below is a great video about the product –
Below is a guide to selecting the correct size Shell for your system –
If you’ve looked at the above charts and you still can’t decide which shell to get then –
- Keep in mind, for most camera/lens sizes there are 2 Shell sizes that will fit your camera. So, you really can’t go wrong.
- Shell is made to stretch and fit your camera snugly. For any given camera size, a smaller Shell will fit your camera more snugly and a larger Shell will have a baggier fit.
- A tighter fit is better for carrying your camera in Capture since everything will be nice and snug. A looser fit is better if you plan to actively shoot with Shell in the rain since it will be quicker to pull Shell up and access your controls.
- Even if you get the larger Shell size, it will be much more snug-fitting than other camera rain covers on the market.
- Another advantage of picking the larger size is that you can cinch Shell closed all the way around your camera, even when using long lenses with hoods.
- If you have a DSLR and a mirrorless camera, consider getting 2 Shells. You really don’t want to use anything bigger than the small Shell for a mirrorless camera unless you want better access to a zoom lens.
- Just a little awkward to peel off the back to shoot if it’s a snug fit. This is not a dealbreaker and we would much prefer than trying to look through a plastic cover.
- If you plan to use as a cover while shooting rather than just a waterproof cover then it is a little awkward using a zoom lens if the cover is snug on the camera. Peak Design suggests if you are going to use it in this way then get the next size up which will allow better access to the zoom. For prime lens shooters, this does not apply.
- A little awkward if you are using a third-party lens with the aperture ring on the lens eg. Samyang 12mm f2.8 Fisheye lens or Laowa 15mm f/2 Zero-D lens
Click here to see Peak Design’s full range of products.
PRICING & SHIPPING
The Peak Design Shell, at the time of writing, is priced at –
SMALL – USD$44.95
MEDIUM – USD$49.95
LARGE – USD$54.95
US Customers – Free Standard Delivery in the US for orders over $99.00. Taxes may apply
Australian Customers – AUD prices exclude taxes and shipping. As there is a global warehouse in Sydney the shipping price will be calculated at domestic rates.
Worldwide Customers – For shipping costs worldwide check out the rates here
HELP SUPPORT US
Peak Design rarely offers discounts on its products so if you find this review helpful, please click on the links above if you want to purchase. It costs you nothing extra to purchase the item using these links, but will help support us so we can continue writing these reviews.
Thanks so much for your support!
THE FINAL WORD
We’ve used this product for a while now and it is brilliant when compared to other rain cover products that we’ve seen and tried on the market. If you love the idea of walking in the rain and taking shots without the worry of your camera getting wet then this product should be near the top of your list of MUST HAVE’S, especially for Travel and Landscape Photography.
Peak Design Capture Camera Clip
Peak Design Everyday Sling Bag – 10L (V1)
Peak Design – Shell
Peak Design Slide Camera Strap
Peak Design Everyday Sling Bag 10L (V2)
Peak Design Lens Kit
Peak Design Travel Tripod
Peak Design Travel Tripod – Is this the best travel tripod?
Peak Design Everyday Totepack 20L - V2
Please Note: We may receive commissions when you click links and make purchases. However, this does not impact our reviews or recommendations. We try our best to keep things fair and balanced, in order to help you make the best choice.