In a previous post, we have discussed how every Travel Photographer should use HDR in their photography “HDR – An essential tool in Travel Photography”. As mentioned, many people steer right away from the HDR technique, however, this doesn’t necessarily mean that you can’t take your single images and really give them a “pop” using HDR software such as Aurora HDR 2018.
This post has primarily been written for those of you who do not use Lightroom (or don’t want to use Lightroom). Aurora HDR 2018 works as a Standalone application so for those of you that want a quick and easy way to process your images you can simply drag and drop your images into Aurora HDR 2018.
HDR software primarily combines multiple images and then tone maps the image. So what is Tone Mapping?
“Tone Mapping is a technique used in image processing and computer graphics to map one set of colors to another to approximate the appearance of high-dynamic-range images in a medium that has a more limited dynamic range. Tone mapping addresses the problem of strong contrast reduction from the scene radiance to the displayable range while preserving the image details and color appearance important to appreciate the original scene content.” Wikipedia
So, although Aurora HDR 2018 is ideal for multiple exposures, we find Aurora HDR 2018 is also ideal for giving single images a real “pop” and for adding more Dynamic Range to our images. If you only shoot single images and want to get the most out of the Dynamic Range of your camera sensor then you should definitely consider downloading a trial of Aurora HDR 2018.
Things we love about the new Aurora HDR 2018 –
- Interface – is well laid out and a breeze to navigate. We suggest you select Single View Mode under the Filters drop down as this will keep all the Filter Tabs closed and will save you from scrolling down when you are editing.
- Next-generation Tone Mapping – A new smart Tone Mapping algorithm automatically reduces noise and produces more realistic and natural initial results.
- Mac and Windows versions – Aurora HDR 2018 is available both for Mac and PC users, enabling mixed-computer households to share the same product key.
- Lens Correction Tool – The new Lens Correction filter easily fixes all kinds of lens distortion, from barrel and pincushion to chromatic aberration and vignetting.
- Transform Tool – Easily scale, rotate and shift your image to better fit your vision.
- Dodge & Burn Filter – Selectively lighten or darken specific areas of an image to artfully direct your viewer’s eye towards the key subject of your image, similar to a traditional darkroom technique.
- HDR Enhance Filter – Adds details and clarity to an image, adjusting colors, details, and contrast without creating artificial halos or other problems.
- History Panel – An easy-to-reference list of edits made to your image, the History panel allows you to click on any editing step to revert the photo to an earlier stage of editing.
- Image Flip and Rotate – Perfect for correcting photos with incorrect horizons or making creative compositions or other stylistic changes to an image.
- IMPROVED: New Structure Algorithm – The re-developed Structure tool allows you to adjust detail and clarity of an image to get a classic HDR effect with great detail or a smoother effect with fewer details.
- IMPROVED: RAW handling – An improved RAW conversion brings out more details in shadows/highlights, displays colors more accurately and reduces noise in RAW files.
- IMPROVED: Crop tool update – Now specify custom crop sizes for even more versatility.
- IMPROVED: Speed – Faster merging and masking performance, improvement in RAW image processing.
The all-new Aurora HDR 2018 is available to order for both Mac and Windows by clicking the banner below. Use WIDEAURORAJAN for a AUD$20 discount off the price.
If you liked this post you may also enjoy our Newsletter. Sign up here